The first development on this site was an exclusive residence built in 1860 for ten elderly ladies. This “Henriëttehofje” was built in 1860 and was soon joined by a famous neighbour in the shape of the Heineken brewery.
In 1957, after nearly a century, the Henriëttehofje gave way to the current property, an industrial design commissioned by the magazine publisher Geïllustreerde Pers from architects Benjamin Merkelbach and Mart Stam, the latter of whom designed the famous steel-tubed frame chair for Thonet. In this so-called Glass House, close to the Albert Cuyp market in the Oude Pijp area, countless editions of the magazines Margriet and Donald Duck saw the light of day.
The Glass House is a masterclass in functional modernism. Merkelbach and Stam’s pioneering use of concrete and a curtain wall façade of glass caused a sensation when it was unveiled in 1957. More than half a century later, the building remains a joy to inhabit thanks to the abundance of natural light and smart use of colour. Its generous amount of natural light, the smart use of colour and its sturdy structure make Chapter 2 an industrial pearl for The Collection.
This monument to industrial design in the thriving Gerard Dou neighbourhood of the Oude Pijp is less than 200m from the Albert Cuypmarkt, the so-called “kitchen of Amsterdam” whose stalls sell everything from fresh seafood, meat and cheese to flowers and clothes and jewellery.